Senior Program Associate, Gender, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (12 Month Temporary)
Closing: Open until Filled
Job Location US-DC
Type Temporary Full-Time
The Senior Program Associate, Gender, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of the Alliance’s gender strategy to increase the role of women in the clean cooking sector and address gender issues to scale adoption.
The Senior Program Associate, Gender, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves will directly support the Senior Director, Gender and Humanitarian Programs, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves by coordinating programs and projects, including budgets, grants and contracts, advocacy, desk research, and the development of gender resources and tools. S/he will also work closely work closely with the market development, demand and behavior change, evidence and impact, and communication and partnerships teams on issues related to program coordination, market development, market enablement, communications, and partner and donor engagement.
The role will be in support of the Alliance’s overall mission to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women, and protect the environment by creating a thriving global market for clean and efficient household cooking solutions.
The Senior Program Associate, Gender, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves reports to the Senior Director, Gender and Humanitarian Programs, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves.
Program Coordination and Administration
- Assist in design and management of the Alliance’s gender strategy and execute programmatic activities and interventions. Provide technical support for all gender activities, including for relevant grants, contracts, events, research, reports, tools, and budgets.
- Manage the Women’s Empowerment Fund, including but not limited to negotiation of milestones, ad hoc advisory services to grantees, grant administration, and reporting. Support grantees in troubleshooting challenges and barriers, and provide grantees with connections to relevant Alliance experts and in-country staff. Conduct site visits and provide in-person capacity building support as needed.
- Manage the Alliance gender program’s grants and contracts by supporting and contributing to the design of terms of reference/scopes of work, negotiating milestones, setting reporting requirements and payment terms, and monitoring deliverables and outcomes. Coordinate closely with other teams to ensure timely execution of agreements, track deliverables and payments, and manage modifications to agreement terms.
- Coordinate and assist in planning and execution of the Alliance’s youth program, which seeks to raise awareness of youth in Alliance focus countries about impacts of traditional cooking practices, in particular providing the opportunity for girls to be part of the change as their own households’ transition to cleaner cooking solutions and to enhance their leadership skills.
- Track and monitor progress of ongoing studies, research, and program-related activities to ensure that the Alliance and its partners are operating with the most accurate and current information.
- Support the writing and development of proposals and grant reports to donors, including identification of new funding opportunities.
- Participate and contribute to UNF’s Girls & Women Interest Group by attending regular meetings and sharing updates on the Alliance’s gender work with the broader UNF community.
Gender Technical Assistance:
- Advise internal and external teams on gender sensitive practices by conducting gender analysis, and ensuring gender integration into health, environment, technology, enterprise development, and investment programs.
- Provide gender expertise and support to the Alliance program in Haiti.
- Support the development of tools and resources for gender analysis to support the Alliance’s partner base, and provide hands-on capacity building support to partners as needed.
- Support Alliance team with technical input on program-related research and programmatic activities, particularly with
- mainstreaming gender throughout all Alliance activities
Design and write proposals for gender and women’s empowerment programs in collaboration with other technical teams.
Advocacy and Partner Engagement:
- Support the Alliance gender advocacy strategy to mainstream women’s empowerment through clean cooking into global frameworks.
- Support the development of partnerships with Alliance partners who are focused on engaging and empowering women, creating local livelihoods, conducting youth education, and address queries from partners.
- Assist in the coordination of gender-related activities in Alliance focus countries, including project planning, logistics, development of presentations and talking points, and follow up.
- Develop communications materials (factsheets, brochures, powerpoints, talking points, etc.) about the impact of the Alliance’s gender programs.
- Write gender content for reports, blogs, and the website.
- Represent the Alliance during global meetings and conferences through attendance and public speaking opportunities.
- At least 3-5 years of work experience in relevant area, e.g. energy, gender and women’s empowerment.
- Excellent writing skills, including grant writing, academic publications, and communications.
- Proven analytical and project management skills, including the ability to move projects forward from inception to implementation to completion with adherence to deadlines.
- Strong communications skills (speaking, writing, editing, and listening); with attention to detail and broad strategy and experience communicating to different audiences.
- Ability to follow instructions thoroughly while also providing a strategic and critical eye to identify and address any gaps.
- Ability and experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with people, internally and externally, from a wide-variety of types of organizations, cultural backgrounds, and functional expertise.
- Willingness to travel, including internationally.
Flexibility, openness to new challenges, and the ability to thrive as part of a highly functioning, fast-paced group of professionals and to prioritize competing demands.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to be flexible with competing demands and deadlines.
- Self-starter with the desire for continuous learning and the ability to synthesize information and respond positively to constructive feedback.
- Ability to represent the organization with professionalism, diplomacy and self-confidence
- Personal commitment to the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and United Nations Foundation’s missions; demonstrated knowledge of global issues and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and United Nations Foundation’s programs and goals.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- A choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP with HSA),
- dental insurance,
- vision discounts,
- flexible spending accounts,
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution,
- group term and supplemental life insurance,
- short-term disability,
- long-term disability,
- health club discounts,
- commuter benefits, and
- employee assistance program.
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of parental leave.
The duration of this postion is 12 months from date of hire.