Head of Sales and Marketing
Closing: Open until Filled
Category: Social Enterprise
BrightLife, a FINCA International company, is a social enterprise which combines innovative financing, community networks, and the highest quality clean energy brands to improve lives and unlock the productive potential of Ugandans. BrightLife actively seeks out the best-in-class renewable energy products from both proven and up-and-coming brands. Our product line includes a growing range of solar home systems, entry-level solar lights, solar appliances, and clean cook stoves which can be purchased in pay-as-you-go installments, and are sold through a network of direct sales agents, community networks, and strategically selected distribution partners.
BrightLife is uniquely linked to the FINCA International family of social enterprises, which includes 20 financial institutions across four world regions and more than 30 years of experience in reaching underserved communities and individuals. FINCA’s financial service operations in Africa span DR Congo, Malawi, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia.
BrightLife is looking for an energetic, innovative and experienced sales and marketing leader to support the scaling of BrightLife in Uganda, and to help grow this business across FINCA’s footprint in Africa. As the Head of Sales and Marketing you will establish and manage national sales, marketing and business development, including a large and growing team of direct sales agents who sell products directly to rural or low income communities and a growing number of distribution partners. You will be someone who thrives in dynamic environments and has a track record of success in B2C and B2B sales strategies, especially within fast-growth industries and in markets like Uganda.
This position offers you the chance to shape the success and growth of an exciting and growing social venture with the reach and resources of a leading global organization.
In this senior management position with direct reporting to the CEO, you will be responsible for:
- Innovative business strategy: Shape BrightLife’s success and growth with the development and execution of a sales and marketing strategy that fits our customer’s needs, harnesses BrightLife’s strengths and market position, and solidifies BrightLife as a market leader. Directly manage the strategy and growth of B2B channels, and provide oversight and leadership for the B2C Sales Manager in his/her management of our growing agent network.
- Enduring business growth: Optimize sales growth through new and existing channels with an eye toward continuous improvement of the customer experience, increasing lifetime customer value, improving customer repayments, and creating both short-term gains and long-term success for the organization.
- Meaningful marketing and business development: Craft the outward marketing and branding strategy of BrightLife. Use analytics, insights, and marketing know-how to execute thoughtful marketing programs (ATL, BTL, and social media) which contribute to specific business goals, to the brand, and to the customer experience
- Building an exceptional team: Grow, train, mentor and lead a high-performing sales and marketing team which adheres to BrightLife values and standards and puts the customer first
- Building an exceptional function: Guide day-to-day operations within the function, support the needs of other departments, and continuously improve tools, standards, and practices
- Thoughtful business development: Analyze market trends and opportunities and build key relationships to keep BrightLife at the forefront of innovation, collaboration and market leadership both in B2B and B2C channels.
- Executive level leadership: Serve as a strategic leader for the organization, reinforce a customer-centric culture, and live out organizational values
- At least 5 years of operational and strategic sales and marketing experience in a related field, with preference for experience in high volume B2C sales in a fast-growth industry
- Proven experience managing and motivating a large and growing team in a related industry, particularly where organized as a field-based network
- International experience is desirable, especially within other African Markets. Knowledge of the local business context is an asset, as relates to B2C sales as well as financial services, mobile money and telecommunications
- Proficient in MS Office suite (particularly Excel). Experience with Business Intelligence, Sales Management, and CRM tools is a plus
- Fluency in English required; Luganda and other local language skills strongly desirable
- Degree-holder, ideally in a related field such as marketing or business administration
- Enterprising, with an aptitude for innovation and bringing creative solutions to big challenges
- Passionate about customer-centric approaches to sales and marketing
- A hands-on executive, energized by working directly with employees, agents and clients in the field
- Reliable and results-oriented, with the ability to drive sales and marketing strategies from inception to execution
- A decisive and emotionally intelligent leader with strong communication skills and the ability to create a culture of excellence, teamwork and inclusion within your department
- A strategist with excellent analytical, quantitative and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, create effective systems and meet tangible business goals in light of both the constraints and opportunities in the organization and the market
- Understands the needs of a growing social enterprise, with willingness and ability to perform duties beyond the scope of work
- Strong fit to BrightLife’s values, and committed to furthering FINCA’s mission and vision
To apply, please search under Uganda at https://www.finca.org/careers/openings/