Senior Advisor, Public Health Advocacy and Mainstreaming, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
Closing: Dec 12,2017
Department: Global Health/Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
The Senior Advisor, Public Health Advocacy and Mainstreaming, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (Alliance), will responsible for advocating to UN agencies, the World Bank, other development banks, major global platforms like GAVI, think tanks with a focus on health outcomes and policy, and large implementation agencies, for the inclusion of clean cooking as a major intervention to achieve health outcomes. The Senior Advisor will also provide technical guidance, analysis and strategic thought leadership to accelerate the public health benefits of scaling clean cooking. This would involve actively maintaining a thorough knowledge of the health benefits of clean cooking adoption, as well as a keen understanding of the implementation challenges that could limit the health impacts observed. The Senior Advisor should be seen as a credible source of public health evidence, with the credibility and ability to influence the broader health sector to actively integrate clean cooking into their efforts. The Senior Advisor must be able to represent the breadth of the Alliance’s broader work in meetings, events, conferences and other forums. This position could be a part time, consulting opportunity.
Deliverables in 2018
Mainstreaming Clean Cooking into Public Health Programs
Work closely with current and potential donors to accelerate investments in clean cooking to achieve public health benefits
- Meetings with lead health directors within a dozen donor agencies
- Goal of 2 new donors incorporating clean cooking into their public health programs
- Goal of $2m in grants to the Alliance in support of health-related technical capacity and implementation efforts – this may include joint applications for funding with partners as relevant
- Work closely with public health, environmental health, and air pollution–related organizations to ensure the inclusion of clean cooking within programs
- Setting up 10+ meetings with new agencies or agencies which do not actively include clean cooking into their programming
- Goal of 3 new agencies including clean cooking in their programs
- Continued engagement to sustain interest of current health partners
- Engage with public health and environmental health research community
- Organizing clean-cooking focused symposia at 1-2 public health conferences
- Serve as the Alliance representative at relevant public health events and convenings, including with NIH, CDC, Urban Health Initiative, Breathe Life Campaign etc.
- Provide thought leadership and facilitate efforts to make the case for investing in clean cooking for public health.
- Support the development of 3 city-level assessments making the case for accelerating the health, environment and development co-benefits of clean cooking
Integration of Clean Cooking into Alliance Market Building Efforts
- Work with Alliance market managers to develop and execute focused in-country strategies for supporting and communicating evidence on the health benefits of adopting clean cooking
- Provide content and support the Communications team develop 3 to 5 strong health collateral pieces for advocacy and mainstreaming purposes
- Interact regularly with market, enterprise development, and tech teams to ensure up-to-date insight on where clean cooking is being taken to scale, and where there may be opportunities to add on additional public health focus.
- Provide technical inputs to Alliance team in support of proposal development, grant reporting and global advocacy
- Medical degree or Master’s degree in public health, environmental health or equivalent, including at least 15 to 20 years of relevant advocacy, public health, donor relations work experience;
- Excellent writing skills, including grant writing, academic publications, and communications.
- Excellent communications skills (speaking, writing, editing, and listening), with attention to detail and broad strategy and experience communicating to different audiences;
- Demonstrated relationships with current and potential donors and public health implementing partners;
- Ability to follow instructions thoroughly while also providing a strategic and critical eye to identify and address additional gaps;
- Ability and experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with people, internally and externally, from a wide-variety of types of organizations, cultural backgrounds, and functional expertise;
- Willingness to travel, including internationally;
- Flexibility, openness to new challenges, and the ability to thrive as part of a highly functioning, fast-paced group of professionals and to prioritize competing demands;
- Self-starter with the desire for continuous learning and the ability to synthesize information and respond positively to constructive feedback;
- Ability to represent the organization with professionalism, diplomacy and self-confidence;
- Personal commitment to the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and United Nations Foundations missions; demonstrated knowledge of global issues and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and United Nations Foundations programs and goals.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performance of the position responsibilities. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements nor meant to exclude other duties as assigned.
If interested please submit CV and cover letter to email@example.com.